* Updated List As Of * 5 August 2015 *
Dr. Stuart Forster (1956-2011, obit) was a long-time Syracuse Astronomical Society member, former president, secretary, contributing author, scope builder, astrophotographer extraordinaire, host to several of the Messier Marathons that marked the beginning of the SAS observing year, multi-lecturer at past meetings and Summer Seminars, and a true amateur astronomer’s astronomer whose knowledge of observing and equipment was as expansive as the summertime Milky Way.
Ryan Goodson and Damian Allis are coordinating the sale of much of Stu’s astronomy equipment, which is extensive. The list below contains all of the equipment thus catalogued that is not already sold and will be (1) added to as new equipment is catalogued and (2) modified as items are sold. Details about the equipment and sale are as follows:
1. Those in CNY and beyond who knew Stu know that all of the equipment is in fine condition and working order. For optics, we will try to provide as much detail about lenses and mirrors as possible, including providing additional images if you want to see things first.
2. Electronics are more complicated. Stu had been an avid astrophotographer for many years and has in his inventory CCD and related equipment spanning 2 decades (from phone plugs to 9-pin serial plugs to USB). Ryan and Damian do not have a way to test this equipment beforehand. We will do our best to answer questions and, when something can clearly be shown not to work, will provide refunds upon equipment return.
3. Generally, if you want more information or other pictures, please ask by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Ryan and/or Damian will get back to you as soon as possible.
4. “As long as you’re sorting stuff, did Stu have X?” – We regret that our organization of the equipment does not provide us time or constant access to the equipment we are selling. Everything we have in condition to sell is on this page.
5. Shipping – We plan to ship everything by USPS Priority, which means our expected shipping fee will be in the $6 to $12 range (using USPS Priority Boxes packed as reasonably as possible to minimize the number of boxes if you’re buying multiple items). Tracking numbers will be sent as soon as available. Everything will be boxed and wrapped in bubble wrap. If you like, we can make different shipping arrangements, but we ask that you NOT REQUEST CHEAPER SHIPPING OPTIONS. We simply have too much equipment to be buying custom boxes and keeping track of the different shipping options at the Post Office register. We believe this to be a fair request given the very reasonable prices for these items.
6. There is NO HOLDING policy unless you are driving to Syracuse to look at/purchase equipment. If you want to inspect equipment in person, please schedule as promptly as you can.
7. You Can Help – If you know something about a component that you think would help someone else out, please send your information along to email@example.com (referencing the item number). We assume that people looking to purchase will know what something is (or, at least, “know the difference”) but will happily take additional info and add it.
9. “Your descriptions are a little… brief” – We are specifically using the first sale of items to reduce the amount of equipment that then needs to be researched. If you were sent here by another amateur astronomer, chanced are good you already know what the equipment is and don’t need us to tell you (minus additional info, of course)!
10. Click on an image for a larger version (and please ignore the numbers written down in the images. The Item Numbers on this page are the official way to reference equipment).